Match Report
Loughborough Endowed Schools LGS 1st XI vs  Bedford School
On: Saturday, 24 Feb 2018
Venue: Away

The most complete performance so far this season - clean sheet, four goals and full control.

LGS arrived in Bedford with the promise that an away win would set up a top of the table clash against current leaders Kings Ely next Saturday. A difficult first twenty minutes was helped by some direct play up to the forwards with LGS' mezza punta Jay 'Mertens' Werb drawing a foul in the area with some tight skill - centrocampista for the day James Corden put away the pen for 0v1. Shortly after, Mynard picked up a hamstring injury and some reshuffling followed with 1st XI debutant Luke Eve joining the other debutant Gabriel Lowe on the field. Success was coming from drawing the opposition and playing in-behind and, after 35 minutes, Eve was put through and he slid under the keeper for 0v2. Not much followed with LGS having a solid game plan and the half-time whistle came capping a good half.

Eve came off for another debutant, Conley, and this pushed the already impressive Jamie Thompson from terzino fluidificante to ala sinistra, coming in from the left. Ben 'Khedira' Rouse held good positions, playing as a great mediano di spinta and kept the ball moving while the regista MoM Ben 'Matuidi' Horsnall proving to be the decisive ball-winner in midfield, having provided a pin-point pass for Eve's goal. Ten minutes in, 'Mertens' Werb put 'Insigne' Thompson through with a neat ball through for Thompson's first-time finish for 0v3. LGS continued to look comfortable and were able to take advantage of stoppages to reset play with James 'Donnarumma' Taylor removing any aerial danger, claiming a few crosses impressively. Continued pressure led to the fourth goal where 'Khedira' Rouse got the left byline and played the ball into the 6yd box with 'Mertens' Werb on-hand to glance into the far corner superbly. The last 15 minutes saw LGS settle on the ball nicely, with some neat 1-2s, and could have had a fifth when Werb was pulled down in the area, running onto a ball through. The referee didn't give anything for a decision that is commonly known as a "stone-waller".

LGS saw the final whistle and look forward to the home fixture with Ely next Saturday. Forza LGS...